If you have a claim for Social Security disability benefits, you may face a hearing in front of an administrative law judge before your claim is decided. A Oklahoma City Social Security disability lawyer can represent you at the hearing and discuss who else can attend.
An Oklahoma City Social Security Disability Lawyer Explains the Persons Involved at a Benefits Hearing
There are a variety of “players” involved with a benefits hearing in a Social Security disability claim. Your Oklahoma City Social Security disability lawyer can explain who they are.
- The ALJ – The administrative law judge presides over the hearing, and will ultimately make a determination about your benefit eligibility.
- Your Oklahoma City Social Security Disability Attorney – Your attorney can represent you at the hearing and help prepare your arguments in advance.
- The ALJ’s Assistant – This person usually takes care of recording the hearing or other administrative tasks.
- You – As the claimant, you will likely testify at the hearing.
- Witnesses – You may be able to call witnesses who can testify about your disability or impact on your ability to work.
An Oklahoma City Social Security Disability Attorney Discusses Who Will Be Present at the Hearing
As your Oklahoma City Social Security disability lawyer will explain, the above “players” will likely sit in on the hearing. Often, witnesses will wait outside until they are called to testify.
An Oklahoma City Social Security Disability Lawyer Discusses Mental Impairment Hearings
If the the claimant is mentally impaired, an Oklahoma City Social Security disability attorney may prefer he or she not be present during the testimony of family or friends. Hearing them discuss the impairment can be very upsetting for both the witness and the claimant. Your attorney can advise.
Ramona Hanson is an experienced Oklahoma City Social Security disability lawyer who can review your claim and discuss your best legal options. Call today at 405-330-1849 to set up an appointment.